Great-tasting whole wheat spaghetti with tomato sauce (no meat/dairy)

So, I made some baked spaghetti, today. Here's what I did:

I blended up a quart of home-canned stewed tomatoes from 2019 (including all the juice, skin, and seeds), with the following things: the equivalent of one or two bay leaves, a liberal amount of basil, extra virgin olive oil, granulated garlic, Himalayan pink rock sea salt, black pepper, paprika, about seven raisins, some ground mustard, some carrot powder, and that's it, I think. I blended it on the highest setting (besides mix, which you have to hold down) for a while. Then, I took some whole wheat spaghetti noodles, put them in a glass casserole pan (my oval one that fits in my toaster oven). I put the sauce on it, and added some water (not so much water that it would be soupy when finished, which is to say, significantly less than a quart; the pan was about ⅔ or ¾ of the way full). I mixed the water and sauce, and baked it for about 50 minutes on 450° F. in our toaster oven (apparently, with this kind of noodles, and less water than my previous experiments, it takes a lot longer to cook, but you don't have to drain it or thicken your sauce; previous experiments had pasta getting soft very quickly by comparison; so, watch to see if it's done before 50 minutes pass).

I was impressed at the flavor in the sauce. I purposefully omitted onions, parsley, oregano, and all that (because they give the impression of helping, but I think onions and maybe the others can actually hinder this sauce, even though in theory I like all of those things in spaghetti). I might have added celery, but celery can make me more light-sensitive.

Note that the spaghetti noodles themselves actually add flavor to the sauce.

The amount of noodles I used dry was maybe almost 2" thick of spaghetti when held between the thumb and index finger. The noodles were not boiled prior to baking.

Also note that we grew the tomatoes with very little water, and there were a lot of kinds of tomatoes canned together. So, this flavor profile might taste different than some tomato sauces would, especially considering the skins and seeds add flavor, too.

If you're confused about the carrot powder, it's just dried, blended up carrots (I made the powder a while ago). Maybe a fresh carrot would work just as well, but I don't know.

tomato_
garlic_
spaghetti_
basil_
whole_wheat
pasta_
whole_wheat_pasta
baked_spaghetti
vegan_ (I'm not a vegan, but this recipe uses no animal products.)
carrot_
grape_
raisin_
recipe_

1 Comment

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Great-tasting whole wheat spaghetti with tomato sauce (no meat/dairy)

Wow! I made this again, today, and it's even better. I think I used more of most of the ingredients. I measured a tablespoon of carrot powder this time, and I definitely added more than seven raisins (probably 15 to 20). By the taste, I added more ground mustard powder. I used two bay leaves. I'm pretty sure I added more extra virgin olive oil. I may have even added a little bit more water and spaghetti.

Here's a picture of it after I stirred it, but it's blurry, because there wasn't enough light for the camera:

Baked whole wheat spaghetti, 8 December 2020.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6