heirloom_tomato

1 Comment

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Egg Yolk tomato

I tasted some Egg Yolk tomatoes, today. They actually are about the size of egg yolks. So, they're cherry tomatoes. They have a lot of tart taste (and it's not all centered in the gel, interestingly); maybe zingy is a good word. They have a bit of that wild tomato taste in them, too, like Matt's Wild Cherry and Coyote, do, which is unusual for a tomato its size. It has a stronger taste than Galapagos Island, but the taste is similar in some ways. I'm not really sure I understand which part of the flavor is so controversial, unless it's too tart for some people. They're pretty good. They might be good to use in cooked dishes, for extra flavor.

Egg Yolk tomato fruits in hand; yellow; August 2020.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6