life_

3 Comments

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Viruses as life

I found this article: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/12/171206122423.htm

It supports the notion that viruses and other life-forms have a common ancestor:

"The researchers found hundreds of folds that are present across all superkingdoms of life and in all types of viruses, which suggests that they came from an ancient ancestor of all life forms, Caetano-Anolles said."

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. "Viruses share genes with organisms across the tree of life, study finds." ScienceDaily. www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/12/171206122423.htm (accessed April 1, 2020).

It tells us also about how viruses interact with DNA of things besides their hosts, how they can put DNA in other life-forms, and how they might be able to create new genes. To me, with my limited knowledge about this, it seems possible that the possible new genes they might create might just be genes from their ancestors that don't belong to other creatures.

life_
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Viruses as life

Viruses communicate and strategize: https://www.pharmamicroresources.com/2017/02/how-viruses-communicate.html

Viruses make decisions, cooperate, and compete: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170206130405.htm

Also research Arbitrium.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Viruses as life

One might be tempted to think that because 'synthetic viruses' supposedly can be created, that viruses are not alive.

Well, as this article demonstrates, synthetic viruses are not entirely synthetic. A live organic virus appears to be used in their creation. It's the genome that is synthesized (not the full virus).

It sounds like it's pretty much the same as what they do to make new bacteria (which are widely considered alive): https://gizmodo.com/mad-scientists-created-synthetic-bacteria-with-only-473-1766686722

Yes, that involves implanting a genome into a living cell.

It sounds similar to what is done for cloning sheep.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6