heirloom_tomato

3 Comments

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Taiga tomato

Here's an updated picture, taken today:
Taiga tomato plant with twists and turns. Taken on 18 June 2020, in SW Idaho.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Taiga tomato

I checked on my Taiga, today. It was overgrown by wonderberries. (The wonderberries grew huge this year!) The tomatoes and wonderberries were kind of growing together harmoniously, though! Fortunately, wonderberry plants are soft. Anyway, it took a couple attempts to actually get to Taiga and search for fruit, but I eventually found it, and the first one was ripe. I haven't cut it open or tasted it yet. The fruit was surprisingly durable, and kind of waxy to the touch. I'm glad it didn't get overripe.

These are all of the same fruit. It was hard to capture the way it looked with a single picture:

Taiga tomato fruit; 4 August 2020.
Taiga tomato fruit; 4 August 2020.
Taiga tomato fruit; 4 August 2020.
Taiga tomato fruit; 4 August 2020.
Taiga tomato fruit; 4 August 2020.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Taiga tomato

This post was updated on .
So, I seeded and ate the Taiga tomato (the same one pictured above). It was pretty good. The overall experience was considerably better than the initial piece of it that I ate. It actually has kind of a vegetable taste (with a little more acid than a vegetable), but the more I ate it, the more it was like a good peach (except not as sweet). By vegetable in this case, I mean like a part of an edible plant besides the fruit.

Anyway, I craved more after I finished it, and it was a big fruit; so, that's a good sign (and kind of rare for a large fruit). The texture was really nice. It was peach-like, but not creamy like a peach.

Here are some pictures of the interior. As you can see, it's a bicolor, but this particular fruit only has a touch of red flesh (I edited the smiley face in to cover up a brand symbol):

Taiga tomato fruit, cut. 5 August 2020.