heirloom_tomato

4 Comments

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Sheboygan tomato

This post was updated on .
The taste is astonishingly good! Definitely a favorite, and not just for the year. Also remember that the plant has eastern shade. It's similar to Polish Linguisa in flavor and texture. The taste is a bit different. If you like the taste/texture of one I imagine you'll like the other. Sheboygan seems more prolific, however.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Sheboygan tomato

Here's the largest Sheboygan tomato I got. It's not ripe, yet, but intend to save seeds from it when it does ripen. This one is an oxheart!

Here are the rest of them that I harvested green (in preparation for the fall/winter):
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Sheboygan tomato

The oxheart-shape one ripened. I took the seeds out to save (they're in a jar of water waiting to be zapped; I still need to add another pack of watermelon seeds to the jar first). I ate the remainder of the fruit with my dinner (some burritos; I ate watermelon previous to the burritos). The taste was good.

It shriveled some near the stem-end. I'm not sure what causes that, but it's not cracked at the stem-end as the vine-ripened ones were. The fruit was entirely good, though (no bad parts). The taste was good, too, but the vine-ripened ones tasted even better. The seeds were smaller than those of the average tomato.

If it produces offspring with consistent oxheart-shaped fruits, I may give it a name (perhaps Sheboygan Oxheart).

Here are the pictures of it:

Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Sheboygan tomato

Here's my Sheboygan tomato plant from the oxheart-shaped fruit, this year. Note that the plant is very noticeably wispy, this year (whether or not it is in the picture). I don't recall it being particularly wispy in 2019. Oxhearts tend to be wispy. I wonder if Sheboygan is supposed to be wispy. This picture was taken on 27 May 2020.

Sheboygan tomato plant from a seed from an oxheart-shaped fruit, among regular ones. This plant is wispy.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6