Radishrain's 2022 growlog

log.growspice.com

I began my growlog at the following website (see that for earlier information):
https://www.tomatojunction.com/shule-s-2022-growlog-t3310.html

Growlist:

[FYI:
- The names on my growlist with hyphens are seed names; those with underscores are plant names. If it just ends with an underscore, that's the project name. See my plant ID system.
- I planted more varieties than are mentioned in this post, but those died.]

Ground cherries x 1 (unknown variety that is not Aunt Molly's; it is one I've grown before, though, and looks the same as Aunt Molly's)

Sweet peppers x 6:
- Big Red x 1
- Canary Bell x 5

Tomatoes:
[For my 2023 tomato to-grow list, click here.]
- Amana Orange x 11
- Aunt Ginny's Purple x 2
- Big Cheef x 1
- Brandy Boy F2 x 3 (Broy_A, Broy_A0, and Broy_A1)
- Brandy Boy F11 x 4
- Brandywine Pink x 1
- Carbon x 2
- Carolina Yellow x 2
- Gold Medal x 1
- Hamson x 2
- Italian Heirloom x 1
- MKX-A x 3 (MKX_B/Cilantrovaya_A, MKX_B0, and MKX_B1)
- Morsel-A x 1 (Morsel_B)
- Nina-A x 2 (Nina_B, Nina_B0)
- Pearler-A x 4 (Pearler_B, Pearler_B0, Pearler_B1, and Pearler_B2)
- Roma VF x 3
- Snacker-B x 8 (Snacker_C, Snacker_C0, Snacker_C1, Snacker_C2, Snacker_C3, Snacker_C4, Snacker_C5, and Snacker_C6)
- Volunteers x 9 (probably Cosmic Eclipse x 1, BSX cross x 3, Galapagos Island x 4, and not sure about the PL with large cotyledons)

Watermelons x 12 to 24 (not transplanted, yet; 13 have sprouted):
- King Winter x 12
- Winter Queen x 12

Wonderberries x 13:
- Transplants x 2
- Volunteers x 11

Garden map:

Notes:
- MKX_ is the project name for my Medovaya Kaplya cross. MKX_A was the F1.
- Broy_ is my Brandy Boy F2+ project (Broy_A is an F2). I grew the F1 that I saved the seeds from.
- Nina_ is my Early Girl growout project, with Nina_A being my most prolific RL in 2017. Nina_A was probably an F3 (but possibly an F4). The F1 was a BonniePlants storebought plant grown in 2014, which had 52-day fruit (in practice) and tasted amazing. The F2 tasted amazing, too, but different.
- Wuler_ is a project that arose from an unstable B.S.X. tomato, which was possibly one or two crosses beyond the initial.
- Cilantrovaya_ (Cilantrovaya_A is MKX_B; the first fruit, at least, had a fresh cilantro aftertaste, after a while; Cilantrovaya_A has yellow round-ish fruit, the size of a large cherry tomato; there were 80 good-sized seeds in the first fruit 54 days to fruit coloring from transplant; 55 to when I ate it, but it needed to ripen probably a day to three days longer; fruity/honey-like smell/aftertaste)

Main plot (SW-ish)

Row 1
- Cilantrovaya_A F2 tomato (historically the best spot in the garden, production-wise; transplanted 20 May; PL; first tomato to set fruit, which happened on 10 Jun; 7 fruts set by 20 Jun)
- Snacker_C tomato (transplanted 20 May; PL; set a fruit by 24 Jun)
- Snacker_C0 tomato (transplanted 20 May; PL; set at least two fruits by 24 Jun)
- Snacker_C1 tomato (transplanted 20 May; PL; set fruit by 28 Jun)
- MKX_B0 F2 tomato (transplanted 20 May; RL; set fruit before 7 Jul)
- Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach tomato (B; transplanted 20 May; from fruit #3; RL; set fruit by 28 Jun)

Row 2
- MKX_B1 F2 tomato (transplanted 20 May; RL; set fruit by 29 Jun)
- Aunt Ginny's Purple tomato (B; transplanted 20 May; PL)
- Brandywine Pink tomato (A; transplanted 21 May; PL; set fruit by 12 Jul)
- Carolina Yellow tomato (A; transplanted 21 May; RL; set fruit before 7 Jul)
- Empty: was v22_A or MKX_B2 F2 tomato, but I pulled it up (transplanted 20 May; RL; the original transplant died, but another tomato sprouted, this one PL, with the former being RL--whether it was from the same container or the garden soil, I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it's from the same container, since it's PL, and most of the tomatoes there last year were RL; if it's MKX_, then it would have a chance of being RL or PL)

Row 3
- Snacker_C2 tomato (transplanted 20 May; PL; set fruit by 29 Jun)
- Hamson tomato (A; transplanted 21 May; this is the older plant; RL; set fruit by 1 Jul)
- Big Cheef tomato (A; transplanted 21 May; PL; set fruit by 12 Jul)
- Empty; was v22_A0 (RL volunteer tomato; probably Cosmic Eclipse; set fruit by 28 Jun), but I pulled it up on account of the bronzed foliage that seemed to be due to disease
- Carolina Yellow tomato (A0; transplanted 21 May; RL; set fruit by 1 Jul)

Row 4
- Empty
- Empty
- Empty
- Empty
- Empty

Row 5
- v22_A1 (PL; very long cotyledons; set fruit before 7 Jul; I'm guessing this is a Snacker_ tomato)
- Empty
- Empty: was u22_A (PL; split off from Roma VF A1 and transplanted on 3 Jun)
- Italian Heirloom (A; transplanted 25 May; wispy RL; set fruit before 7 Jul)
- Empty

Row 6
- Empty
- Frog Princess tomato (A; transplanted 21 May; RL; set fruit by 23 Jun; this was the first tomato of its size or larger to set fruit; has set at least--probably several more--15 fruits by 12 Jul)
- Empty
- Snacker_C3 (was with Snacker_C2, but pulled up and put here on 2 Jun; PL; set fruit by 7 Jul)
- Empty

Row 7
- Wonderberry
- Broy_A F2 tomato (transplanted 21 May; PL; set fruit significantly before 7 Jul)
- Empty; was Broy_A0 F2 tomato (transplanted 21 May; PL), but I pulled it up on Jul 11 because it seemed to be succombing to a disease (probably Verticillium wilt)
- Empty
- Wonderberry

Row 8
- Wonderberry
- Broy_A1 F2 tomato (transplanted 21 May; PL; set fruits by 8 Jul)
- Empty
- Snacker_C4 (was with Snacker_C2, but pulled up and put here on 2 Jun; PL)
- Empty

Row 9
- Wonderberry
- Empty; was a wonderberry, but I pulled it up on 11 Jul as it was succombing to a disease (probably verticillium wilt)
- Wonderberry
- Empty
- Nina_B RL (transplanted 25 May)

Row 10
- Wonderberry
- Wonderberry
- Wonderberry
- Wonderberry
- Nina_B0 (split off from Nina_B and transplanted on 3 Jun; RL; set fruit by 13 Jul)
- Empty
- Empty
- Wonderberry

West plot by sidewalk corner (north to south rows; east to west columns):
Row 1:
- Roma VF (A; RL; set fruit by 7 Jul)
- Empty
- v22_A3 (probably Galapagos Island; RL; set fruit by 7 Jul)
- Empty: was v22_A4, but got herbicide on it (probably Galapagos Island; RL)

Row 2:
- Roma VF (A0; RL; set two fruits by 29 Jun)
- Empty
- Snacker_C5 (split off from Snacker_C1 and transplanted on 3 Jun; PL; set fruit by 11 Jul)

Row 3:
- Roma VF (A1; RL; set fruit by 7 Jul)
- Empty
- Snacker_C6 (split off from Snacker_C1 and transplanted on 3 Jun; PL; set fruit by 7 Jul)

Row 4
- Empty
- Wonderberry volunteer

SE Plot:

Row 1

- Amana Orange tomato (B1A; transplanted 24 May, in the evening; RL)
- Canary Bell pepper (A; transplanted 24 May, in the evening)
- Canary Bell pepper (A0; transplanted 24 May, in the evening)
- Canary Bell pepper (A1; transplanted 24 May, in the evening)
- Canary Bell pepper (A2; transplanted 24 May, in the evening)
- Canary Bell pepper (A3; transplanted 24 May, in the evening)
- Big Red pepper (A; transplanted 24 May, in the evening)

Row 2:
- Empty
- Wuler_C (v22_A5 PL; set fruit by 10 or 11 Jul)
- Wuler_C0 (v22_A6 PL; set fruit by 10 or 11 Jul)
- Wuler_C1 (v22_A7 PL; set fruit by 7 Jul)
- v22_A8 RL (probably Galapagos Island; set fruit by 20 Jun)
- v22_A9 RL (probably Galapagos Island; set fruit by 20 Jun)
- v22_A10 RL (probably Galapagos Island; set fruit by 22 Jun)
- Empty

Row 3
- Amana Orange tomato (B1A0; transplanted 21 May, in the morning; RL)
- Amana Orange tomato (B1A1; transplanted 21 May, in the morning; RL; set fruit by 12 Jul)
- Amana Orange tomato (B1A2; transplanted 21 May, in the morning; RL)
- Amana Orange tomato (B1A3; transplanted 21 May, in the morning; RL; set fruit by 7 Jul)
- Amana Orange tomato (B1A4; transplanted 21 May, in the morning; RL; set fruit by 12 Jul)
- Amana Orange tomato (B1A5; transplanted 21 May, in the morning; RL)
- Amana Orange tomato (B1A6; transplanted 21 May, in the morning; RL; set fruit by 12 Jul)
- Amana Orange tomato (B1A7; transplanted 21 May, in the morning; RL; set fruit by 12 Jul)

Row 4
- Amana Orange (B1A8; transplanted 25 May; RL)

Row 5
- Aunt Ginny's Purple (B0; transplanted 25 May; PL)
- Empty
- Brandy Boy F11 tomato (B; transplanted 24 May, in the morning; PL; set fruit by 12 Jul)
- Carbon tomato (B; transplanted 24 May, in the morning; RL)
- Brandy Boy F11 tomato (B0; transplanted 24 May, in the morning; this is the one I seeded later; it's parent was here; PL)
- Carbon tomato (B0; transplanted 24 May, in the evening; RL; set fruit recently before 7 Jul)

Row 6
- Empty; was Gold Medal (A; transplanted 25 May; RL; it caught whatever Morsel_B had, and I pulled it up on 15 Jul)
- Empty; was Morsel_B F2 (transplanted 25 May; RL; set fruits by 22 Jun), but pulled it up on 11 Jul as it was succombing to a disease (probably Verticillium wilt, sans the chlorosis)
- Empty (was Cherokee Golden A; transplanted 25 May; pulled up on 15 Jun, since it was almost dead and it was only an inch tall or so)
- Brandy Boy F11 tomato (B1; transplanted 24 May, in the morning; PL; set fruit by 12 Jul)
- Brandy Boy F11 tomato (B2; transplanted 24 May, in the morning; PL; set fruit by 7 Jul)
- Pearler_B F3 (transplanted 25 May; RL; set fruit by 1 Jul)

Row 7
- Empty; was Ground cherry--not Aunt Molly's (B?; transplanted from a foam cup on 27 May; was Carolina Yellow, transplanted 25 May, but that Carolina Yellow died), but pulled up the ground cherry on account of foliar disease symptoms, or some such.
- Pearler_B0 F3 (transplanted 25 May; RL; set fruit by 13 Jul)

Row 8
- Empty
- Pearler_B2 (split off from Pearler_B0 and transplanted on 3 Jun; RL)
- Empty
- Hamson (A0; transplanted 25 May; RL; set fruit by 13 Jul)
- Empty
- Empty

Row 9
- Empty
- Empty
- Amana Orange (B1A9; transplanted 25 May; RL)
- Empty
- Empty

Row 10
- empty
- empty
- empty (was Malva neglecta)
- empty
- empty
- empty
- Wonderberry (transplanted from a foam cup on 27 May)
- Wonderberry (transplanted from a foam cup on 27 May)
- Pearler_B1 F3 (transplanted 25 May; RL; set fruit by 1 Jul)

Row 11
- Empty
- Empty
- Chicory
- Empty
- Empty (was Malva neglecta)
- Empty
- Empty
- Empty

36 Comments

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

This post was updated on .
Morsel_B had set some fruits (I think three), by Tuesday. V22_A10 set fruit by Wednesday.

So, at least the following tomatoes have set fruit:
- MKX_B (at least 8; the first one set on June 10th)
- Morsel_B (probably at least 3; this is the first plant to set fruit out of those I seeded later)
- v22_A8 (not sure how many)
- v22_A9 (ditto)
- v22_A10 (ditto)

A thirteenth watermelon sprouted maybe two to four days ago. So, we have at least two kinds. I hope they can mature in time, being transplanted so late. They look like they need fertilizer, too.

It's supposed to be 105 on Monday, but the interesting news is that might be the hottest day of the season. So, the whole season might be cool. I wonder how that will affect fruit production, with so many days in the 80s in June/July instead of 90s/100s.

We had some blossom drop on Wednesday. It's a shame I haven't sprayed with calcium nitrate, yet (it seems to help there). I should do that on Friday. I'll probably spray with Epsom salt soon, too (not the same day); I've never sprayed that before; I've always put it in the ground (but as I added it to the soil everywhere last year, I want to make sure I don't overdo it by putting it in the ground again, this year, just in case).

The Miracle Gro fertilizer in the ground seems to be doing a lot of good for some of the tomatoes.

I pulled up the Malva neglecta that I was allowing to grow.

We put some black plastic down to replace what was torn up by the wood pile. I hammered staples into it; so, we don't have rocks weighing it down, this time. We took all the plants out from that area (horseradish, sunroots, sunroot x sunflower hybrids, and weeds).

I watered the garden on 22 Jun.

The White Pearl poinsettia is looking great. The new leaves look awesome. It still has at least 13 white bracts remaining. I watered it on 22 Jun, too. It's a potted plant, in its original pot.

Horseradish leaves appear to make excellent mulch for keeping weeds out.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

By Thursday morning (23 June), Frog Princess set a fruit, and MKX_B set another fruit.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

A fourteenth watermelon sprouted.

Fruit set:
- Snacker_C0 set at least two fruit, by today. It's also the largest Snacker_ plant, this year. The fruits look more oblong/ovate than I was expecting, so far; maybe round isn't fully recessive.
- Snacker_C set a fruit, too, which I noticed later.
- MKX_B set a fruit on another flower stalk; there are 10 fruits that have set on the plant, so far.

I fertilized some tomatoes in the ground with 24-8-16 All-purpose Miracle Gro, this morning, including the following (all the watermelons, and the ground cherry, too):
- Pearler_B through B2
- Carbon (B0)
- Snacker_C3 through C6
- Nina_B and B0
- Gold Medal (A)
- Amana Orange (B1A9)

I moved the White Pearl poinsettia further west by its north window; so, it should get more eastern sun.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

I gave all the tomato, pepper, and wonderberry plants (with the exception of one wonderberry, which I missed) a foliar spray of calcium nitrate this morning, except the ones I gave Miracle Gro the other day (however I gave at least one of those a foliar spray of calcium nitrate, too, as well as the carrots; hopefully they'll be okay).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

On 27 Jun, I watered the plants. Cosmic Eclipse set at least two fruits. Other tomatoes likely set fruit, too. I'm not sure if Pearler_B2 is going to make it (it's still tiny, and it was severely wilting).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

I just got a nice video of a swallowtail butterfly. It was friendly (and not afraid), and let me video it as it got nectar from the roses.

Also, before that, I noticed that some tomatoes set fruit:
- Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach
- Snacker_C1 (Snacker_C0 and Snacker_C previously set fruit)

MKX_B is up to about 15 fruits. They're decently-sized cherries already. The plant is up beyond the top of its cage already.

Frog Princess has at least two fruits.

Other tomatoes that have already set fruit have probably set more fruits.

I'm excited about Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach, since it was a later variety last time (it may be that it needed more phosphorus).

Morsel_B was the first tomato to sprawl, which it did by 27 June.

Pearler_B2 looks better (instead of like it's dying).

Yesterday, I noticed a small bit of powdery mildew on Morsel_B (which I removed), and a whole lot of it on our dandelions that we've been growing purposefully. There are other disease symptoms in the garden (probably Verticillium wilt and Alternaria).

It got to 101 degrees F. on Monday (according to Alexa on Monday) instead of 105 (Accuweather says it was 104/55 then today). The tomatoes, peppers, and wonderberries loved it.

It's supposed to be 100 / 60, today, 90/56 tomorrow, then 93/58, 96/58, 99/59, 92/62, 86/60, 88/59, 91/60, 91/66, 95/67, 93/63, and so on. I'm excited because foliar sprays work better when it's warmer.

The UV index is supposed to be 9, today.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

I removed the diseased leaves from the tomatoes, and one from the ground cherry. They showed Verticillium-style chlorosis. We've had plants with symptoms like that for a few years without major issues; so, hopefully they won't cause major issues this year (however, the increased incidence, pest pressure, cooler temperatures, and rainy late spring might be cause for concern).

There are whiteflies in the garden.

Also, there are more aphids, or something, this year, but they're usually gone by the time I find their exoskeletons. I believe I saw some thrips (and thrip damage) earlier in the season.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

By today, the following tomatoes have set fruit (I'm mentioning some that I have mentioned before already, to show that those entire groups of plants have set fruit):
- Snacker_C through C2 have set fruit.
- Roma VF (A0) set two fruits
- MKX_B through B1

MKX_B is growing trusses with eleven flowers each (and it's grown a lot of trusses, so far). Snacker_C0 has more flowers per truss, so far, but I don't remember how many. Nina_B has quite a few flowers per truss.

The wonderberries have been flowering (as of yesterday or before).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

By today, the following new tomatoes set fruit:
- Pearler_B and B1 (they both have round fruit)
- Hamson (A)

Broy_A has a lot of flower trusses, like a prolific cherry.

The watermelons (still not yet transplanted) have an immobile nutrient deficiency.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

I fertilized the following, with Miracle Gro (24-8-16 all-purpose, except where I say otherwise):
- Brandy Boy F11 (all)
- Broy_ (all; I used tomato-specific Miracle Gro fertilizer on Broy_A0)
- Snacker_C3 through C6
- Carbon (both)
- Nina_B and B0
- Italian Heirloom
- Morsel_B (half of the fertilizer I used on Morsel_B was tomato-specific Miracle Gro--the last of what I have of it)

I watered the rest of the tomatoes, wonderberries, peppers, potatoes, onions, and the ground cherry, as well as the parsley, pineapple sage, some of the grape vines, mint, and at least one other herb.

I fertilized the watermelon and gave them Epsom salt.

Someone pulled up a post from the ground, and there's a hole there. I filled it up with water, and a toad came out (the toad appeared to have been trapped there, by the depth of the hole, but it seemed to have made a home out of it at the same time). I should have waited until night to do that, so the toad would have had an easier time finding somewhere to live (our toads are nocturnal, and it was morning), and I should have used less water pressure. I tried to find it a place to live until nightfall; so, hopefully it turns out (it ended up going under the horseradish leaves).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

I gave the rest of the peppers, wonderberries, watermelons, the ground cherries and the tomatoes (except for v22_A8, v22_A9, and v22_A10) a foliar spray of calcium nitrate. I put the extra calcium nitrate from the bottle in the ground for Pearler_B2 when I was done.

Fertilizing the watermelons again is a risk, since I already gave them Miracle Gro, today (that's not something I would normally do, but it's not a full strength shot of calcium nitrate and the watermelons didn't respond a lot to last week's fertilization; so, I figured they might need extra).

I have evidence that my Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach might actually be a cross with Italian Heirloom, since the plant is wispy-ish, and the fruit doesn't look the same shape (strangely, though, it looks pear-shaped which is the inverse of oxheart; the fruit is still small, though; so, we'll see how it turns out; I haven't grown any wispy pear tomatoes, to my knowledge). It's also possible that Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach just didn't have stable shape, yet (and leaf wispiness, or not).

The following tomatoes set fruit:
- Carolina Yellow (A0)

Cosmic Eclipse's truss of flowers that I left on (while pruning all the branches off) began growing branches of leaves out of the end of the truss! The stem for the truss is very thick, too. I'm planning to let it grow. I had been waiting for it to grow new branches by the ones I trimmed off (so I could let those grow), but it had other plans.

Before today, I had noticed branches growing out of the end of a truss on Snacker_C1 (and I'm planning to let that one grow, too; the new branch/es have flowers growing, too).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

Today: 95/65; UVI 9.1
Tomorrow: 98/66; UVI 10

I think a couple days ago, I pulled up the ground cherry and Cosmic Eclipse, due to disease concerns.

It was supposed to rain, yesterday, but it didn't. It's supposed to be between 90 and 101 from the day before yesterday until August 18th (89 on August 18th).

Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach is pear-shaped! Possible candidates for a father of the cross (if it is a cross) include these:

- Japanese Black Trifele
- Cold Black Brandy (less likely, since its shape seemed to not be homozygous, unless it crossed that year)
- Ovita (the growth habit looks similar, but I think the fruit might be growing too big for it to be Ovita; however, Ovita wasn't quite a pear, exactly; some fruits maybe were)
- Cherokee Yellow Red Pear (unlikely, as it wasn't a pear-shape, but it might have had pear genes)

The fruit color should be revealing. If it's light apricot, then I'm guessing it was unstable and had the pear genes in it to begin with. If it's pink, then it's probably Ovita. If it's brown or black it's probably Japanese Black Trifele or Cold Black Brandy. If it's red, it's probably Cherokee Yellow Red Pear.

The following tomatoes have set fruit, to date (if I first noticed the fruit today, then I say 'today' by it):
Amana Orange (B1A3; today; it also has the largest plant)
Brandy Boy F11 (B2; today)
Broy_ (A; this set significantly before today, but the fruits are still small)
Carbon (B0; it set fruit recently, but before today)
Carolina Yellow (A and A0)
Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach (B)
Frog Princess (A; this has the largest fruit, so far)
Hamson (A)
Italian Heirloom (A)
MKX_B (this has, by far, the most fruit by volume, so far, and probably the most fruits, too; it was the first to set fruit)
MKX_B0
MKX_B1
Morsel_B
Pearler_B
Pearler_B1
Roma VF (A, A0, and A1--but especially A0, which was also the first to fruit, and has the largest plant; A and A1 may have set fruit today, but I'm not sure)
Snacker_C
Snacker_C0
Snacker_C1
Snacker_C2
Snacker_C3 (today)
Snacker_C6 (today)
v22_A0 (probably Cosmic Eclipse; however, I pulled it up)
v22_A1 (probably a Snacker_)
v22_A3 (possibly today; probably Galapagos Island)
v22_A7 (probably a BSX cross; today, but the fruit is pretty big--so, maybe I didn't notice it yesterday)
v22_A8 (probably Galapagos Island)
v22_A9 (probably Galapagos Island)
v22_A10 (probably Galapagos Island)

The UV index is supposed to be 10 tomorrow.

Of the peppers, Canary Bell (A3) has the largest plant. I believe it and other peppers are getting ready to flower. The peppers should like the warmer weather (they get deformed leaves when it's not hot; calcium nitrate helps, but warmer weather helps more).

At least some of the wonderberries have set fruit, which I noticed, today.

One of the three eastern Galapagos Island volunteers is beginning to touch a neighboring Amana Orange plant. So, I should prune it soon. I pruned Morsel_B to make room for Gold Medal the other day.

Morsel_B still has tiny fruit, so the theory that Matt's Wild Cherry is the father of the F1 is looking like a better guess.

Nina_B0 has a thicker stem and bigger flowers than Nina_B, but Nina_B is taller.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

Friday's weather:
98/69

Today's forecast:
97/66; UVI 10

I just gave the following tomatoes All-purpose Miracle Gro (24-8-16--the powdered kind) in the ground:
- Aunt Ginny's Purple (B0; giving it a boost.)
- Gold Medal (A; giving it a boost.)
- Morsel_B (The whole plant has been curling, and I figured fertilizer might help it out.)
- Pearler_B0 (This is probably the second smallest tomato plant in the garden, but it does have flowers.)
- Pearler_B2 (This is currently the smallest tomato plant in the garden.)
- Amana Orange (B1A9)
- Italian Heirloom (I'm experimenting with fertilizing an oxheart in the ground a fair amount to see if it works a lot better than foliar sprays, since foliar sprays haven't seemed to have worked as well on wispy plants.)
- Nina_B (I've been making a point to fertilize this weekly, because it's been small, and because I want to see how fertilizer works with Nina_'s genetics, and how it impacts the flavor.)
- Nina_B0 (Ditto.)
- Snacker_C3 (This and the following Snacker_ tomatoes are the smaller ones that were pulled up from the others and transplanted.)
- Snacker_C4
- Snacker_C5 (This is the smallest Snacker_ plant, this year.)
- Snacker_C6
- Roma VF (A, A0, and A1; their soil likely has a lot of calcium, so the fertilizer was to give them more nitrogen and stuff to hopefully help prevent BER, and to give them a boost; pastes in alkaline soil seem to be prone to BER when it's hot, although I haven't tried Roma VF before to see if it gets BER easily there; I have a hypothesis that any imbalance too far with calcium, nitrogen, magnesium, and maybe even other nutrients, can cause BER, since a lot of things seem to influence calcium uptake, including those. Also, I'm hoping the fertilizer helps them get larger fruit.)

I fertilized some potted onions, chives, and sage likewise (I've fertilized them before without mentioning it; I think twice). Fertilizing these plants has taught me some things about container plants: 1. They really do need fertilizer, whether or not they have potting soil. 2. Potting soil actually does work if you use Miracle Gro (as opposed to other stuff); although you may need to add calcium and magnesium occasionally, too.

Another thing I've realized (from fertilizing certain other plants) is that in my garden, Miracle Gro could use more iron. Although it contains iron, it's not enough to make much of an impact on plants with marked iron-deficiency (in the soil for those plants, anyway).

MKX_B1 is enormous, and getting bigger. I don't know what I was thinking putting it there (as opposed to somewhere with a lot more space--I was probably thinking I didn't have somewhere with a lot more space). I guess I thought it would be about the size of a Snacker_ tomato, but it's wow. I'm very impressed; it's super vigorous. Great production, too. It's already taking over Aunt Ginny's Purple's space. At least it's in a cage to keep it upright (although it's already filled and grown well beyond the cage). Hmm. I should have put it where Nina_B or Nina_B0 are, and put one of them where it is.

I remember what I was thinking. I was thinking that was perhaps one of the best spots of the garden, and I wanted my prime plants there (and that was one of my prime plants). Had I considered putting it where the Nina_ tomatoes are, I might have done it, though. I think I'll put a couple of its children in that general area, next year (one there, and another a few spots to the west of there).

Broy_A1 set fruit, by yesterday.

Frog Princess set more fruit.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

I gave the peppers, the container-started wonderberries, and most of the rest of the tomatoes a foliar spray of the same Miracle Gro. The ones I didn't fertilize include these:-
- MKX_B and all the tomatoes in its row
- MKX_B1
- The Galapagos Island volunteers
- Hamson (the older, westmost one)
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

Yesterday: 93/70; UVI ?
Today: 96/62; UVI 9
Tomorrow: 103/71; UVI 10

It's supposed to be in the 100s for the rest of the week (105 on two days). So, we haven't hit the hottest day of the year yet, after all, if the weather prediction is correct, this time.

I pulled up Morsel_B, today. It was wilting more heavily, and the stem was starting to look sick (not just the leaves). The roots and soil around them smelled fungal (like mold--not like yeast). So, I'm guessing it wasn't bacterial wilt. I don't recall any chlorosis (or it so, not much) with this plant; so, I'm reluctant to say it was Verticillium wilt.

I later went out into the garden and noticed the same problem with a wonderberry and Broy_A (although the problem was less further along, and both plants had Verticillium-style chlorosis). So, I pulled those up, and I'm thinking the problem was probably Verticillium wilt on all three plants.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

Today: 102/68; UVI 9.6
Tomorrow: 102/70; UVI 10

This morning, I noticed that Brandywine Pink had set some fruits! That is remarkable, since it set fruit in the heat, and from what I can tell, Brandywine isn't particularly known for heat-tolerance (not even in the dry heat). So, that's nice. I definitely want to save seeds from those fruits.

Yesterday or the day before, I noticed that all three BSX cross volunteers (if that's what they are, as they seem to be), had set fruit. This is remarkable since they did it so fast, growing so well. The largest plant set fruit first, quite a while ago. The smallest plant seemed to set fruit next (interestingly; I'm not sure when, but recently, probably), and the second-largest plant set fruit by yesterday.

By yesterday, all the Snacker_ tomatoes, this year, had set fruit (including the smallest one), except for Snacker_C4.

I counted at least 15 fruits on Frog Princess before I lost track.

Black-winged aphids have been all over at least several of the tomatoes, especially MKX_B (I saw some disruption in the way a new leaf is formed, and some odd necrosis on some leaves; so, those aphids are probably bringing diseases with them). While that might not seem to be good news, it should help impart more resistance to the next generation.

I've been noticing that despite the soil potassium, the plants in the garden aren't exhibiting high-potassium toughness. So, I think I'm going to give them a foliar spray of potassium sulfate, to bypass the roots. They could use potassium with all these aphids, Verticillium, and whatever else is out there.

Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach is proving very vigorous, this year, and is already well beyond its cage.

Hamson (A) is setting lots of fruits. I haven't checked Hamson (A0) today or yesterday, but I imagine it's set fruit by now.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

Hamson (A0) has not set fruit yet.

The following tomatoes have set fruit (along with previously mentioned ones, whether or not I mentioned any of these previously):
- Both remaining Broy_ tomatoes have set fruit.
- Amana Orange (B1A1, B1A4, B1A6, B1A7; B1A3 previously set fruit)
- Big Cheef (A)
- Brandy Boy F11 (B and B1; B2 previously set fruit; B0 hasn't yet)
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

Here's a list of what has set fruit, so far, and when it did it:

- Amana Orange (B1A1; by 12 Jul)
- Amana Orange (B1A3; by 7 Jul)
- Amana Orange (B1A4; by 12 Jul)
- Amana Orange (B1A6; by 12 Jul)
- Amana Orange (B1A7; by 12 Jul)
- Big Cheef (by 12 Jul)
- Brandy Boy F11 (B; by 12 Jul)
- Brandy Boy F11 (B1; by 12 Jul)
- Brandy Boy F11 (B2; by 7 Jul)
- Brandywine Pink (by 12 Jul; multiple fruits)
- Broy_A (significantly before 7 Jul)
- Broy_A1 (by 8 Jul; multiple)
- Carbon (B0; recently before 7 Jul)
- Carolina Yellow (A; before Jul 7)
- Carolina Yellow (A0; by 1 Jul)
- Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach (by 28 Jun)
- Frog Princess (by 23 Jun)
- Hamson (A; by 1 Jul)
- Italian Heirloom (before 7 Jul)
- MKX_B (10 Jun)
- MKX_B0 (before 7 Jul)
- MKX_B1 (by 29 Jun)
- Pearler_B (by 1 Jul)
- Pearler_B1 (by 1 Jul)
- Roma VF (A; by 7 Jul)
- Roma VF (A0; by 29 Jun)
- Roma VF (A1; by 7 Jul)
- Snacker_C (by 24 Jun)
- Snacker_C0 (by 24 Jun)
- Snacker_C1 (by 28 Jun)
- Snacker_C2 (by 29 Jun)
- Snacker_C3 (by 7 Jul)
- Snacker_C5 (by 11 Jul)
- Snacker_C6 (by 7 Jul)
- v22_A1 (before 7 Jul; probably a Snacker_ tomato, but it had extra large cotyledons)
- v22_A3 (by 7 Jul; probably Galapagos Island; it was one of the later volunteers that I kept to sprout, and in historically late-fruiting soil; Galapagos Island can be earlier than any other tomato I've grown, it seems)
- v22_A8 (by 20 Jun; probably Galapagos Island)
- v22_A9 (by 20 Jun; probably Galapagos Island)
- v22_A10 (by 22 Jun; probably Galapagos Island)
- Wuler_C (v22_A5; by 10 or 11 Jul; if you look at the picture of this earlier on, you'll see it's maturing and fruiting fast! Same for the next two, but especially this; probably a BSX cross)
- Wuler_C0 (v22_A6; by 10 or 11 Jul; probably a BSX cross)
- Wuler_C1 (v22_A7; by 7 Jul; probably a BSX cross)
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

Here's the weather for today (12 Jul) and some previous days (to keep the fruit-setting record in my previous post in context):

20 Jun: 79/51 (no very hot temperatures before this point; up to 88 in Jun before this on the warmest days, but mostly cool)
21 Jun: 85/50
22 Jun: 92/49
23 Jun: 92/61
24 Jun: 86/54
25 Jun: 89/51
26 Jun: 95/49
28 Jun: 100/63
29 Jun: 89/62
30 Jun: 95/57
1 Jul: 97/65
2 Jul: 97/64
3 Jul: 90/68
4 Jul: 84/64
5 Jul: 93/58
6 Jul: 91/63

(The above are records from the historical weather today, but following are records I logged on the day I saw the weather; historical weather today says 7 Jul was 97/70; so, there are differences between the two.)

7 Jul: 95/65; UVI 9.1
8 Jul: 98/69; UVI was forecasted to be 10
9 Jul: 97/66; UVI 10
10 Jul: 93/70
11 Jul: 96/62; UVI 9
12 Jul: 102/68; UVI 9.6

Tomorrow is forecasted to be 102/70; UVI 10
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Radishrain's 2022 growlog

I just gave a foliar spray of potassium sulfate to all the peppers, tomatoes, and wonderberries. I used 1 tablespoon of potassium sulfate per 51oz of water in a pump sprayer (pumped by hand).

While I think this is generally a good idea to do once a season, I thought the peppers really needed it, as the leaves broke off pretty easily; I figured the strength gained via the potassium sulfate would help them support the weight of the fruit.

Also, some of the tomatoes were getting those black-winged aphids all over them in record numbers (they seem to prefer the highest plants); so, the potassium sulfate was also to strengthen them against the aphids (as well as whatever other pests might be around; there were whiteflies and I believe thrips earlier in the season; they might still be around).

I saw a stinkbug on a wonderberry.

The spider mite pressure has been low this year (but I don't have the watermelons transplanted, either).

The grapes don't have variegated grape leafhoppers all over them! Hooray! They've been absent for most of the season, but they were here on things besides the grapes earlier in the season. For some reason, they vanished, however. I've been praying for the leafhoppers to stop decimating them (which they've been doing every year for a number of years now, until this year).

Are the aphids really black-winged? I don't know; I'll have to take another look; they might have clear wings and black bodies. They're the kind that often die on the plant that they're feeding on (unknown cause of death).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6