Radishrain's 2021 tomato to-grow list

EDIT: For my actual growlist, for 2021, see this link:
https://www.tomatojunction.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2349&start=40

If an item is followed by a *, that means I intend to grow multiple plants of that kind of tomato. Stick, Napoli and its crosses, and Frittata Kitchen are intended to be the vast majority of the plants.

Long-term goals: Breed lots of prolific tomatoes of various sizes (large cherry to giant) with pompom foliage, durable fruits, excellent taste, decent acidity (for canning/flavor), great nutrition, heat/cold/drought-tolerance, great culinary qualities, and such. I plan to grow plenty of tomatoes with pompom foliage until they're all like that (via natural crosses), almost (growing only pompom hybrids rather than the original Stick, once pompom hybrids breed).

Short-term goal: in 2021, plant a lot of Napoli, Napoli crosses, Frittata Kitchen, and Stick plants. Hope for lots of natural crosses between them and other tomatoes. When Stick crosses start surfacing, don't grow the original Stick anymore; just grow the crosses with pompom foliage (but grow lots of them); every time they cross, do the same, if it still requires further breeding for productivity, fruit-size and branching (I want it to produce plenty of branches).

Add Epsom salt, zinc, copper, and iron to all the growing spots you have the minerals to do it on.

List:
* Amana Orange x 3 (each from a different fruit)
* Atkinson
* Aunt Ginny's Purple
* Black Cherry
* Black Bear
* Black Beauty
* Blush
* BSX x 4
* Carbon x 3 (put in the open—not somewhere that takes a while to get to)
* Cherokee Carbon F1
* Cherokee Chocolate
* Cherokee Yellow
* Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach
* Chocolate Chestnut (give wood ash)
* Church (I have two sources)
* Cold Black Brandy
* Cosmic Eclipse
* Costoluto Florentino
* Costoluto Genovese (I have two sources)
* Dinner Plate
* Egg Yolk
* Flaming Burst
* Frittata Kitchen x 2
* Galapagos Island (just one; grow where the muskmelons are)
* Garden Leader Monster
* Girl Girl's Weird Thing x 2 (each from a different source)
* Great White
* Isis Candy x 2
* Insurance_2 (give a lot of space; grow where the muskmelons are)
* Japanese Black Trifele x 2
* Marion
* Matina (from 2019's saved seeds; grow where the muskmelons are)
* Matt's Hornet
* Mexican Yellow
* Mexican Yellow cross F2 (try for yellow fruit; grow where the muskmelons are)
* Mexican Yellow cross F3 (grow where the muskmelons are)
* Napoli x 6 (3 from 2019 and 3 from 2020)
* Napoli cross A x 6 (2 from each of three fruits)
* Napoli cross B x 3 (each from a different fruit)
* Neves Azorean Red
* Orange Jazz
* Pakenham Pear
* Picnic_2 x 2
* Pink Bumble Bee
* Purple Calabash cross F2 (the cross may be with Costoluto Genovese)
* Purple Russian
* Red Stuffer
* Sprite (for the flower garden)
* Stick x 12
* Stump of the World
* SunChocola F3
* SunCitron F2
* SunDolce F2
* SunGarnet F2
* SunGold F1
* Sun Green Improved F1
* SunLemon F2
* SunOrange F2
* SunPeach F2
* Sweet Ozark Orange
* Terhune

Here are some of them that I don't plan to grow in the main group (but rather on the side or in a different place):
* Amana Orange x 3
* Black Cherry
* Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach
* Egg Yolk
* Galapagos Island (just one; grow where the muskmelons are)
* Garden Leader Monster
* Insurance_2 (give a lot of space; grow where the muskmelons are)
* Matina (from 2019's saved seeds; grow where the muskmelons are)
* Mexican Yellow
* Mexican Yellow cross F2 (try for yellow fruit; grow where the muskmelons are)
* Mexican Yellow cross F3 (grow where the muskmelons are)
* Pakenham Pear
* Sprite (for the flower garden)
* SunChocola F2
* SunChocola F3
* SunCitron F2
* SunGarnet F2
* SunGold F1
* Sun Green Improved F1
* SunLemon F2
* SunOrange F2
* SunPeach F2

tomato_growlist
tomato_growlist_2021
2021_

2 Comments

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Raifu's 2021 tomato to-grow list

I planted my first tomato of the year, today: Amana Orange. I had a spare orange juice gallon jug; so, I'm using that to do something like winter sowing, except directly in the ground (I direct-seeded and overseeded Amana Orange, cut off the bottom of the jug, and put the jug over it (then I poured a bunch of water in the spout; yes, I threw the lid to the jug away previously, since I want a hole in the top). I put it in a spot where I had put some ashes earlier, this year; they were ashes from our fire (a combination of wood, fruit, vegetable, and non-salty food ashes). Usually, it's just wood ash, but we decided to burn the stuff we can't compost easily during the winter.

Anyway, it might be warm enough just to direct-seed tomatoes as is. I might actually do that. The only problem with direct-seeding is that volunteer tomatoes might pop up where I plant them. That might happen with Amana Orange, but I'm willing to take the risk. Volunteers from that spot shouldn't be orange unless they are Amana Orange.

My neighbor's dog almost jumped over the fence to try to chase me away while I was doing it. Apparently, it's very capable of doing so, but it listened to me when I said something to ward it off.

It'll be nice to have direct-seeded tomatoes with an early start, especially for one like Amana Orange. Plus, that's one more space open in the greenhouse.

Too bad I don't have a bounty of jugs right at this moment. I should probably do Carbon, Black Cherry, or BSX, next, when I get another one.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Raifu's 2021 tomato to-grow list

Tomatoes have sprouted abundantly where I planted Amana Orange, by today.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6