Pruning cucurbits to the third degree of ramifications

I read somewhere that the third degree of ramifications on cucumbers (I think that was the species of cucurbit) was more prolific than lower degrees. I kind of wonder if going out more degrees of ramifications increases production for all cucurbits, given a long enough season.

With tomatoes, people usually either prune to a Y shape or prune every single sucker off (just letting the leader grow). I kind of wonder if pruning off everything else in order to get to a certain degree of ramifications faster would produce more fruit in tomatoes, too, given as much time as the plant needed.

pruning_
degree_of_ramification
tomato_
cucumber_