Green Globe artichoke

We got a Green Globe artichoke plant from Walmart in the spring, and transplanted it in an area with black plastic and western shade. Here's a picture of it on 22 July 2019. Yesterday, it had a lot more artichoke heads showing. Yes, there are watermelons next to it, and I don't regret the decision.

5 Comments

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Green Globe artichoke

Our plant began to bloom by 26 Aug 2019:

Artichokes could be grown for ornamental purposes!
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Green Globe artichoke

Pictures from a later day:

The pollinators seem to enjoy the giant artichoke flowers.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Green Globe artichoke

So, last year, we didn't harvest any heads. I let them all go to seed to save seeds. I'm sure I would have eaten some, but I had a lot of other stuff to think about, and I was fatigued. Plus, I liked looking at the flowers a lot. They're pretty cool.

Anyway, so, I let it overwinter, and it's growing back! In Idaho! Yes, it was a mild winter. I get another chance to eat them! See the pictures:

Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Green Globe artichoke

Here's the plant, so far, this year. It's getting big!

Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Green Globe artichoke

It has artichokes already! (As of one to three days ago, at least.) That's about two months ahead of last year. There are more unpictured artichokes.

Green Globe artichokes in May in SW Idaho. 2nd-year plant. Dried artichoke flowers from the year before may be seen.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6