heirloom_tomato or other_tomato

2 Comments

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Cold Black Brandy tomato

My plant has pear-shaped fruit that so far (they're still unripe) look much like Japanese Black Trifele's fruit. I was expecting the fruit to be round or beefsteak-shaped.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Cold Black Brandy tomato

I harvested a ripe one. The fruit was firm, and was a large pear. It looks like Japanese Black Trifele. It's brownish pink or pinkish brown.

Okay, here's what I thought of the taste/texture: They were both phenomenal. The taste and texture is a lot like a really good tomato I had once (not from my garden) that I think was Brandywine, except Cold Black Brandy also has somewhat of a smoky taste, and somewhat of that Pink Cheeks sort of taste added in. The texture seems softer when eating it than I expected, considering the firmness of the fruit. I vastly prefer the flavor to Japanese Black Trifele's earlier this year, actually. I might actually grow it again next year.

Anyway, it tastes like it would be a crowd pleaser tomato. I would describe the taste and texture as high quality. It's well balanced.

It wasn't mealy at all.

Here are a couple pictures of the fruit:

Cold Black Brandy F4 tomato. August 2020.
Cold Black Brandy F4 tomato, sliced in two. August 2020.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6