Citron watermelon crisp

So, I'm making some Red-seeded Citron watermelon (AKA Colorado Preserving Melon, AKA Tsamma) crisp. It's basically a mock apple crisp. This is my second time making it. It tastes approximately like apple crisp. Sorry—I don't have exact proportions to tell you.

Filling ingredients:
* Citron watermelon
* Natural brown sugar (natural just means the molasses wasn't taken out and added in later)
* Nutmeg
* Cinnamon
* Citric acid

Topping ingredients:
* Old fashioned rolled oats
* Butter (ideally soft or melted)
* Brown sugar

Directions:
Cut the rind off the watermelon and then cut the watermelon into quarters. Remove seeds. Cut the watermelon into small to small-ish pieces, and remove seeds as you do so. Put the cut-up watermelon into a mixing bowl. Add brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and citric acid to taste (you can taste the filling raw to see if it tastes right). Mix. Put the filling in glass baking pans (cassrole-style pans). Separately, mix the butter and brown sugar, and then gradually mix it into the oats (mixing the oats while you do so); alternatively, use another apple crisp topping recipe. Put the topping on the watermelon filling. Bake on 400° F. for about 35 to 40 minutes.

If your topping can't handle being cooked so long, you may want to add it after the filling has been baking a while.

You could probably use the filling for pies and such, too.

One regular Citron watermelon is enough for about two full-sized watermelon crisps.

We were low on brown sugar, today, so we melted some raw sugar into the butter to make up for it (for the topping; we had enough for the filling). Hopefully it works! (It worked.)

You may like it with milk (especially if you added too much citric acid). Letting it sit in the milk for a while before eating may improve the taste further.

recipe_

2 Comments

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Citron watermelon crisp

Here's a bowl of it that I'm eating right now.

Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Citron watermelon crisp

I made some more for Thanksgiving. Everyone who tasted it (including two people who tasted it the day after Thanksgiving) liked it.

People tended to think it was a bit different from apple crisp, but they all seemed impressed. I've been calling it watermelon crisp (rather than mock apple crisp).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6