Bread and Butter Pickles

This recipe is adapted from the Ball Blue Book of Preserving, p. 47. A relative used this recipe, potentially slightly modified, with West India burr gherkins instead of cucumbers.

Ingredients:
* 4lbs 4–6" cucumbers (¼" slices) (my relative used burr gherkins instead, eyeballing the amount)
* 2lbs onions, sliced thin (about eight small onions)
* ⅓ cup canning salt (my relative used less salt, apparently, but I would have followed the recipe there)
* 2 cups sugar (my relative used a single cup)
* 2 tablespoons mustard seed (my relative used ground mustard)
* 2 teaspoons turmeric
* 2 teaspoons celery seed
* 1 teaspoon ginger
* 1 teaspoon peppercorns
* 3 cups vinegar

Process 10-minutes in a boiling-water canner.

Anyway, I don't know how these are going to turn out, but they look really good. The mustard makes them nicely yellow.

recipe_
burr_gherkin