video_

3 Comments

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Wonderberry Harvest

This post was updated on .
I just finished picking four pounds of wonderberries several minutes ago!  They're in a gallon zipper bag in the freezer. They freeze quite well, and taste about the same on pizza as fresh ones.

The four pound weight does include the weight of the bag, which is to say, it would probably still be four pounds without it. I picked more berries than are in the bag, but they washed down the drain as I was washing them. Here's how I wash them: I fill the container of wonderberries with water, mix them around, and let the stuff that floats to the top wash out. When I'm satisfied, I pour the wonderberries into a strainer and get the water out; then I put them in a freezer bag. I harvested many dried berries, too (they dry like raisins on the vine a lot, this year; I don't remember that happening during previous years).

I would have picked more, but it got dark. I'm tempted to try for the world record on the most wonderberries per weight picked in a single harvest by one person. Well, it may not be the a Guinness Book of World Records record, but it's a forum record (and technically, I did go in the house for a few minutes before I had finished)!  I think I'll make a forum for forum records, but I'd want to break this one before posting it.

I figured I couldn't pick tomatoes since we're too busy to can them (someone is making shelves for the storage room, and I'd have to can them all by myself, getting in their way, in addition to harvesting them), so, since wonderberries take up less space, and I want lots of them to eat throughout the year, I'd pick those instead, and freeze them.

Sitting in a chair while harvesting definitely makes it easier work this time of year. Also, this time of year, they seem to squish more easily when harvesting them. I pick them squished, dried, or not. They all seem to be good.

Lots of freshly harvested wonderberries in a gallon zipper bag ready to freeze.

forum_record (For the most wonderberries harvested in a day, by weight; I decided to add this tag instead of making a forum for forum records.)
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Wonderberry Harvest

Here's what I picked of today's harvest! They're prolific already, soon after the first ripe fruits.

Today's wonderberry harvest, 21 July 2020.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Wonderberry Harvest

I harvested the ripe wonderberries on Thursday (4 Aug 2022). There were a lot, for so early on. :) This is what they look like before I wash them, with a camera lense that needs cleaning.

IMG-20220804-203829
IMG-20220804-203820
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6