I'm curious what a diploid wonderberry would be like, or an octoploid. Would the diploid have bigger fruit? Diploid tomatoes have bigger fruit than tetraploid tomatoes.

1 Comment

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Wonderberries are tetraploids!

One surprising thing, though, is that wonderberries are surprisingly stable, considering they're tetraploids. The leaves sometimes evince genetic diversity (whether they're furry or not), but other than that, every plant seems about the same. It's possible that Luther Burbank bred many of the original traits out (and maybe it wasn't a tetraploid in the F1, either).

Whatever the case, it's a fine plant, and I like it quite a lot.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6