Weeks NC Giant cross watermelon fruit, sliced in two, on a glass cutting board. It has pink flesh and black seeds. Another watermelon can partially be seen to the left. Part of a blender and a kitchen sink can be seen.

5 Comments

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Weeks NC Giant watermelon crosses, 2019

This post was updated on .
Here's another watermelon from the same planting site (there are likely three plants in the same spot; so, it might be considerably genetically different). I harvested it, today, and it's also large for our garden. I think maybe it's bigger than the last one. This is the largest long watermelon fruit I've grown in our garden, so far.

An 18lb Weeks NC Giant cross watermelon fruit, whole, with a hand on it. It is labeled with black marker. Part of another watermelon can be seen.
An 18lb Weeks NC Giant cross watermelon fruit, whole, on a countertop. Another watermelon can partially be seen.
An 18lb Weeks NC Giant cross watermelon fruit, whole, on a countertop. Another watermelon can partially be seen.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Weeks NC Giant watermelon crosses, 2019

This post was updated on .
This second fruit in the previous post is between 18 and 19 pounds (weighed on 6 Mar 2019).

forum_record (For heaviest watermelon; yeah, I know it's a very beatable record; please beat it!) (Also, for heaviest long watermelon.)
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Weeks NC Giant watermelon crosses, 2019

On 9 Sep 2019, I opened the fruit, and we ate part of it. It has a hollow crack inside it (maybe the beginnings of hollow heart syndrome, which is interesting since I hardly watered it; maybe another who lives here watered it more than I knew). The taste is somewhat preferable to the first one. The texture is nice. It has stanard-colored watermelon seeds and/or almost black ones. They're kind of large seeds. The rind was very thick.

I did refrigerate it for a few days before we tasted it.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Weeks NC Giant watermelon crosses, 2019

The one with stars was ripe, today! I harvested it. I hope we like it.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Weeks NC Giant watermelon crosses, 2019

This post was updated on .
On 28 Oct 2019, we cut it open and ate it. I don't remember what it tasted like. I did save seeds.
Weeks NC Giant cross watermelon fruit, with stars, whole, being held in one hand. The rind has faint stripes.
Weeks NC Giant cross watermelon fruit sliced in two. It has pink flesh and dark seeds. It is on a wooden cutting board. The fruit has stars, but only one star is only partially visible.
Weeks NC Giant cross watermelon fruit with stars, sliced in two, on a cutting board. It has pink flesh and dark seeds. The rind has stripes.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6