Tomato to-grow list for 2022

Edit: See the following thread, which might have an updated version
https://www.tomatojunction.com/shule-s-2022-growlog-t3310.html

It's time to start a new growlog. I planted my tomato and pepper seeds yesterday morning (March 18th).

Here's my tomato list:

- Aker's West Virginia x 1 (from Gardenboy of Tomatoville in 2016; sprouted on 30 Mar)
- Amana Orange x 25 (1 plant from timelesstomatoes.store, 24 plants from my saved seed, descended from Marsha's seed; I planted 8 plants from each of three different fruits saved in 2021 from plant B1; the first one sprouted 28 Mar; the timelesstomatoes.store one sprouted on 31 Mar)
- Aunt Ginny's Purple x 2 (from seed I saved last year from plant A; sprouted 2 Apr)
- Big Cheef x 1 (from GardenBoy of TomatoJunction in January 2020; sprouted 8 Apr)
- Brandy Boy F2 x 1 (from seed I saved in 2019 from plant A; sprouted 28 Mar)
- Brandy Boy F11 x 1 (from seed I saved in 2019 from plant A; sprouted 26 Mar)
- Brandywine OTV x 1 (from Tormato in 2016; marked 2015; sprouted 6 Apr)
- Brandywine Pink x 1 (Livingston Seed Co. packet with barcode 048389049593, gifted to me by a local friend; packed for 2011; sell  by 10/2011 LOT 10; wow, these are old--I didn't know until now; I like old seed, though! Sprouted on 30 Mar)
- Carolina Yellow x 1 (Thresh Seed Co. with barcode T0-SL-002, packed for 2022, sell by 12/22, LOT A; sprouted by 4 Apr)
- Cherokee Golden x 1 (from JohnnyRock of Tomatoville, January 2020)
- Cherokee Purple x 1 (from Marsha's 2016 SASE seed offer on Tomatoville)
- Cherokee Yellow x 1 (1 seed; from JohnnyRock of Tomatoville, January 2020)
- Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach x 2 (each from a different fruit; from seeds saved in 2020 from plant A, fruits #1 and #3; both sprouted 28 Mar)
- Cherokee Yellow Red x 1 (2 seeds; from JohnnyRock of Tomatoville, January 2020)
- Cherokee Yellow Yellow Pear x 1 (from JohnnyRock of Tomatoville, January 2020)
- Frog Princess x 1 (from Julianna of TomatoJunction who got them from Remy / Sample Seed Shop; sprouted on 30 Mar)
- Gold Medal x 1 (from tradewindsfruit; packed for 2015)
- Golden Queen x 1 (from Timeless Tomatoes in 2016; sprouted 9 Apr)
- Hamson x 1 (from hometownseeds.com, purchased in 2021 or 2022; sprouted 28 Mar)
- Italian Heirloom x 1 (from Thresh Seed Co.; packed for 2021; sell by 12/21; LOT B; barcode T0-SL-009)
- Medovaya Kaplya cross F2 x 6 (from seed I saved in 2017; trying for a red round PL sweet cherry; first container sprouted on 29 Mar)
- Mountain Gold x 1 (from Timeless Tomatoes in 2016)
- Orange Banana x 6 (from Timeless Tomatoes; they might be new or from 2016; I don't know; sprouted 2 Apr)
- Orange Caprese x 1 (from Tormato in 2016; marked 2015; sprouted 1 Apr)
- Pinky Blast x 1 (from Tormato in 2016; marked 2015; I think he got them from AlittleSalt)
- Primrose Gage x 1 (from Tormato in 2016; marked 2015; sprouted 1 Apr)
- Snacker-B F4 x 6 (from seeds I saved last year, from plant B; the first one or two sprouted 28 Mar)
- Super Sweet 100 F1 x 1 (Burpee seeds packed for 2013; from Tormato in 2016)
- Vorlon x 1 (from Tormato in 2016; marked 2015; sprouted by 4 Apr)
- Yellow Brandywine x 1 (I don't have a record of where I got these, but the packet and handwriting look exactly like those of Big Cheef; so, I'm guessing GardenBoy of TomatoJunction in January 2020)
- Yoder's German Yellow x 1 (from JohnnyRock of Tomatoville in January 2020)

Here's my sweet pepper list (all Capsicum annuum):
- Canary Bell x 12
- Coral Bell x 9
- Lunchbox Yellow, Orange, and Red x 11 (they're all in a mixed packet; it came with 11 seeds and I planted each seed in its own container; I overseeded the other varieties in this list; sprouted 2 Apr)
- Quadrato Giallo x 1
- Sunbright x 2 (the first sprouted 8 Apr)
- Big Red x 1

So, I have three trays of seeds. Each tray has 36 cells. The cells are a good size.

I added some turmeric to the soil, this time (never done that before). Hopefully that wasn't a bad idea. I read somewhere that it deters pests or something, but if it was a bad idea, at least I didn't add a terrible lot of it. I added food grade diatomaceous earth to the soil, as I did last year (but probably less than last year).

I put some cinnamon on top after watering, to help protect the seedlings against damping off disease (hopefully it's not too early to add the cinnamon; I'm not sure).

I watered in wood ash and monoammonium phosphate as I've done for the last few years.

I plan to start putting the trays outside during the day probably in about a week. For now, they're in the house.

I overseeded most of the tomatoes and peppers.

I didn't end up ordering from Sand Hill Preservation Center (to get another strain of Amana Orange, and more melons/watermelons), or anywhere else, after all. Maybe later. For now, I've got plenty of stuff to grow, and I can breed my own strain of Amana Orange.

I've decided I don't plan to grow any muskmelons, this year.

I do plan to grow watermelons: I plan to seed those in foam cups outdoors after the last frost, some time (that seems to work better than doing it earlier and better than direct-seeding; with direct-seeding, they don't germinate as well, or grow as fast, and volunteer melons growing with the seeded melons make things confusing).

So, let's see what watermelons I do plan to grow (since I didn't order any new ones):

I think I'm just going to grow King Winter and Winter Queen. aI hope to grow many plants. If they cross, I'll know what the cross was. I have Santo Domingo Winter, too, and maybe other Santo Domingo types, but I think I'll save those for next year.

Well, I might still order from SHPC and/or other places before I plant the watermelons. So, I might grow the Wintermelon watermelon, too.

tomato_growlist
2022_

1 Comment

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Tomato to-grow list for 2022

Here's my garden map:

Here's my garden map for the year; I plan to edit this periodically, including as we transplant and plant more things.

Notes:
- MKX_ is the project name for my Medovaya Kaplya cross. MKX_A was the F1.
- Broy_ is my Brandy Boy F2+ project (Broy_A is an F2). I grew the F1 that I saved the seeds from.
- Nina_ is my Early Girl growout project, with Nina_A being my most prolific RL in 2017. Nina_A was probably an F3 (but possibly an F4). The F1 was a BonniePlants storebought plant grown in 2014, which had 52-day fruit (in practice) and tasted amazing. The F2 tasted amazing, too, but different.

Main plot (SW-ish)

Row 1
MKX_B F2 tomato (historically the best spot in the garden, production-wise; transplanted 20 May; PL)
Snacker_C tomato (transplanted 20 May)
Snacker_C0 tomato (transplanted 20 May)
Snacker_C1 tomato (transplanted 20 May)
MKX_B0 F2 tomato (transplanted 20 May; RL)
Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach tomato (B; transplanted 20 May; from fruit #3)

Row 2
MKX_B1 F2 tomato (transplanted 20 May; RL)
Aunt Ginny's Purple tomato (B; transplanted 20 May)
Brandywine Pink tomato (A; transplanted 21 May)
Carolina Yellow tomato (A; transplanted 21 May)
v22_A or MKX_B2 F2 tomato (transplanted 20 May; RL; the original transplant died, but another tomato sprouted, this one PL, with the former being RL--whether it was from the same container or the garden soil, I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it's from the same container, since it's PL, and most of the tomatoes there last year were RL; if it's MKX_, then it would have a chance of being RL or PL)

Row 3
Snacker_C2 tomato (transplanted 20 May)
Hamson tomato (A; transplanted 21 May; this is the older plant)
Big Cheef tomato (A; transplanted 21 May)
v22_A0 (RL volunteer tomato)
Carolina Yellow tomato (A0; transplanted 21 May)

Row 4
Empty
Empty
Empty
Empty
Empty

Row 5
v22_A1
Empty
u22_A (PL; split off from Roma VF A1 and transplanted on 3 Jun)
Italian Heirloom (A; transplanted 25 May)
Empty

Row 6
Empty
Frog Princess tomato (A; transplanted 21 May)
Empty
Snacker_C3 (was with Snacker_C2, but pulled up and put here on 2 Jun)
Empty

Row 7
Wonderberry
Broy_A F2 tomato (transplanted 21 May)
Broy_A0 F2 tomato (transplanted 21 May)
Empty
Empty

Row 8
Wonderberry
Broy_A1 F2 tomato (transplanted 21 May)
Empty
Snacker_C4 (was with Snacker_C2, but pulled up and put here on 2 Jun)
Empty

Row 9
Wonderberry or v22_A2
Wonderberry
Wonderberry
Wonderberry
Nina_B RL (transplanted 25 May)

Row 10
Wonderberry
Wonderberry
Wonderberry
Wonderberry
Nina_B0 (split off from Nina_B and transplanted on 3 Jun)

West plot by sidewalk corner (north to south rows; east to west columns):
Row 1:
Roma VF (A)
Empty
v22_A3 (probably Galapagos Island)
v22_A4 (probably Galapagos Island)

Row 2:
Roma VF (A0)
Empty
Snacker_C5 (split off from Snacker_C1 and transplanted on 3 Jun)

Row 3:
Roma VF (A1)
Empty
Snacker_C6 (split off from Snacker_C1 and transplanted on 3 Jun)

SE Plot:

Row 1

Amana Orange tomato (B1A; transplanted 24 May, in the evening)
Canary Bell pepper (A; transplanted 24 May, in the evening)
Canary Bell pepper (A0; transplanted 24 May, in the evening)
Canary Bell pepper (A1; transplanted 24 May, in the evening)
Canary Bell pepper (A2; transplanted 24 May, in the evening)
Canary Bell pepper (A3; transplanted 24 May, in the evening)
Big Red pepper (A; transplanted 24 May, in the evening)

Row 2:
Empty
v22_A5 PL (possibly BSX)
v22_A6 (possibly BSX)
v22_A7 PL (possibly BSX)
v22_A8 RL (probably Galapagos Island)
v22_A9 RL (probably Galapagos Island)
v22_A10 RL (probably Galapagos Island)
Empty

Row 3
Amana Orange tomato (B1A0; transplanted 21 May, in the morning)
Amana Orange tomato (B1A1; transplanted 21 May, in the morning)
Amana Orange tomato (B1A2; transplanted 21 May, in the morning)
Amana Orange tomato (B1A3; transplanted 21 May, in the morning)
Amana Orange tomato (B1A4; transplanted 21 May, in the morning)
Amana Orange tomato (B1A5; transplanted 21 May, in the morning)
Amana Orange tomato (B1A6; transplanted 21 May, in the morning)
Amana Orange tomato (B1A7; transplanted 21 May, in the morning)

Row 4
Amana Orange (B1A8; transplanted 25 May)

Row 5
Aunt Ginny's Purple (B0; transplanted 25 May)
Empty
Brandy Boy F11 tomato (B; transplanted 24 May, in the morning)
Carbon tomato (B; transplanted 24 May, in the morning)
Brandy Boy F11 tomato (B0; transplanted 24 May, in the morning; this is the one I seeded later; it's parent was here)
Carbon tomato (B0; transplanted 24 May, in the evening)

Row 6
Gold Medal (A; transplanted 25 May)
Morsel_B F2 (transplanted 25 May)
Cherokee Golden (A; transplanted 25 May)
Brandy Boy F11 tomato (B1; transplanted 24 May, in the morning)
Brandy Boy F11 tomato (B2; transplanted 24 May, in the morning)
Pearler_B F3 (transplanted 25 May)

Row 7
Ground cherry--not Aunt Molly's (B?; transplanted from a foam cup on 27 May; was Carolina Yellow, transplanted 25 May, but that Carolina Yellow died)
Pearler_B0 F3 (transplanted 25 May)

Row 8
Empty
Pearler_B2 (split off from Pearler_B0 and transplanted on 3 Jun)
Empty
Hamson (A0; transplanted 25 May)
Empty
Empty

Row 9
Empty
Empty
Amana Orange (B1A9; transplanted 25 May)
Empty
Empty

Row 10
empty
empty
Malva neglecta
empty
empty
empty
Wonderberries (transplanted from a foam cup on 27 May)
Wonderberries (transplanted from a foam cup on 27 May)
Pearler_B1 F3 (transplanted 25 May)

Row 11
Empty
Empty