Santo Domingo watermelon fruit, sliced open. It has pink flesh and black seeds.

5 Comments

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Santo Domingo Winter watermelon

This post was updated on .
I harvested two more of these the other day. They weren't as large.

this variety doesn't seem to have many seeds.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Santo Domingo Winter watermelon

Here are four more fruits, harvested several hours ago, from a different planting site (I'm very excited about them; they're all in the refrigerator, this time):

Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Santo Domingo Winter watermelon

I ate the three smallest of those four earlier today. All three fruits tasted the same. Refrigerated, they were quite sweet (including the white part of the rind) and very good. You should really refrigerate this variety well before eating it, in my opinion. They were much better than the ones I had before unrefrigerated. The one I had in 2017 that I loved was also refrigerated, although it had a different flavor than these grown with black plastic.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Santo Domingo Winter watermelon

Today, I cut open the largest one, and at first, it didn't look ripe! However, we ate it, and it sure tasted ripe. Nice and sweet; crisp and good. Very few seeds. Yeah, definitely refrigerate these.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Santo Domingo Winter watermelon

Great news. I found Santo Domingo Winter watermelon seeds that I had saved in 2017! So, I can grow those next year, too. They were from a good-sized fruit grown in drought conditions without black plastic. It was perhaps the onky variety to get to its full size that year.

Germination wasn't great the last time I tried those in an unheated greenhouse; so, I plan to pre-sprout them inside in a plastic bag in a wet herbal tea bag before planting them to go in the unheated greenhouse.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6