Rooting West India burr gherkin cuttings in water

This thread began on our old/companion site: http://vegetables.boards.net/thread/461/west-india-burr-gherkin-cuttings

Recap: I easily rooted a single cutting in water, and then attempted lots of cuttings in the same container of water.

Anyway, I discovered that rooting lots of plants in the same container of water is a bad idea. They fermented, started to die, and didn't root. They smelled kind of good, though, for fermented cuttings, interestingly. Now I want to lacto-ferment West India burr gherkins. I think one cutting per container is best.