Radishrain's 2015 tomato growlist

These were all grown from seed. A number of the plants were at least semi-stunted this year (and produced under-sized fruit). This was my first year growing many tomatoes from seed. None were purchased as plants. I started them extremely early indoors under fluorescent lights (incandescent for Yellow Pear) and windowsill light. I grew many plants extra large indoors on purpose, in order to try transplanting them super deep, experimentally. Most of them were planted deeper than I would recommend these days, in my garden. There were some disease issues (at the end of the season, and in my seed-starting environment).

• Beefsteak (American Seed; small, perfectly round fruit; did not set any fruit in the heat; small plants)
• Beefsteak (Peaceful Valley; great taste; excellent taste-retention when cooked sliced on pizza; small, perfectly round fruit; did not set any fruit in the heat; had some of the largest plants before the transplant; large plant for the year; planted about five feet deep)
• Big Rainbow (no fruit; stunted; seeds from wintersown.org)
• Black Plum (heat-tolerant; early; decent taste; produced all season; not super prolific, but it was okay; seeds from rareseeds.com)
• Brandywine (I planted a beefsteak shaped type and a round type; may have been another variety; it was orangish red; did not set any fruit in the heat; decent production; mealy; from fruits given to me by a friend, which tasted great and had great texture; planted extremely deep)
• Caspian Pink (I may have loved this, but the plants got a late start, and we only got them at the end of the season, unripe; they ripened in storage and were okay; I did save seeds, though; seeds purchased somewhere)
• Cherokee Purple (didn't have good conditions; I only got an extremely late small fruit or two that I didn't taste for some unknown reason; seeds from wintersown.org)
• Delicious (some were not true to type; I planted at least one with PL foliage and at least one with RL foliage; large fruit; I believe these were dollar store seeds)
• Early Girl F2 (these were decent, considering; later than the F1 the year before; okay production, but good for the year; set fruit in the heat; a favorite for taste—not just for me, but for others, too; seeds saved from the previous year)
• Galapagos Island (Solanum cheesmanii; seeds from wintersown.org; very early; prolific; small plant; set fruit in the heat; handled all the conditions I planted it in well, and two of those were quite challenging)
• German Pink (late; big very pink fruit; decent production; unusually meaty; cutting a fruit seemed kind of like cutting a smooth ham; did not set any fruit in the heat; seeds from rareseeds.com)
• Golden King of Siberia (cool-looking, large fruits; spindly vining plant; did not set any fruit in the heat; great taste, and very meaty, but it wasn't the sort of tomato I'd want to eat a lot of fresh, by the way it felt in my body; seeds from rareseeds.com)
• Grape F? (currant-sized red, round fruit; I think I gave the plant to someone; it had been reseeding for several years, and I took a plant inside over the winter)
• Green Giant (big, tasty, extremely juicy fruits; did not set any fruit in the heat; a favorite for taste; seeds from rareseeds.com)
• Green Zebra (only a few fruit, and they were not anything like early; taste was good; seeds from a trade)
• Husky Cherry Red F2 (at least three kinds; extremely tasty and firm; two plants were early and another seemed so late that it never set fruit; one plant had sweet fruits and another didn't; a favorite for taste; the plants that set fruit had volunteered, while the other was from seeds saved from the previous year)
• Indigo Rose (crop failure; purchased somewhere)
• Kellogg's Beefsteak (that's what the packet really said; very tasty; small, orange fruit; I believe these were dollar store seeds)
• Lemon Boy F2 (the sourest tomato I've ever eaten; I think it could strip tooth enamel; from seeds saved the previous year)
• Market Wonder (great taste; at least one fruit set in the heat; vigorous foliage; firm smallish blocky fruits; had some of the largest plants before the transplant; seeds from wintersown.org)
• Martino's Roma (few and small fruit; seeds were a gift from a friend online)
• Paul Robeson (small pure brown fruit, but very tasty, and hardly any hang-time; did not set any fruit in the heat; seeds from wintersown.org)
• Pruden's Purple (large, dark pink fruit; one branch was variegated, and one fruit had a stripe that seemed to come from that variegation; the variegation did not seem to be genetic, as I grew out seeds from that fruit; I believe all fruits set fruit in the heat; I think I only got three fruits, but they were all big and extremely tasty; favorite for #hamburgers; seeds from rareseeds.com)
• Roma x Lemon Boy F2 F1 (I pulled it out due to disease concerns or some such and/or because the fruits were dropping early; seeds saved the previous year)
• San Marzano (late and not as prolific as Roma the previous year, but it was decent, and had long, firm, muscular-looking fruit; I believe these were from a dollar store seed packet)
• Sugar Lump (a few fruits were extremely tasty and sweet, like Sweet Tarts, but the others were normal; they didn't produce many fruit; one to a few fruits set in the heat; I believe these were from a dollar store seed packet)
• Texas Wild (got several cherry tomatoes on it, but it wasn't prolific, vigorous or early; it didn't set in the heat; I think it probably needed acclimatization through seed-saving to prosper in that ground; seeds from wintersown.org)
• Yellow Pear (crop failure; I believe these were from a dollar store seed packet)
• Potentially others

tomato_growlist
tomato_growlist_2015
2015_