heirloom_tomato

4 Comments

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Napoli tomato

Okay, I tasted them, and they were somewhat mealy, and not chalk full of flavor or anything. They do have eastern shade, though.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Napoli tomato

I take that back, I think it out-produces Roma. The fruits are very durable, too, and have great hang-time perhaps. Ours was transplanted late, and has eastern shade (so, it could probably outperform Roma very easily). It'll probably be tastier with additional sun. I plan to grow it more.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Napoli tomato

Here are my transplanted Napoli tomato plants, so far, this year:

Napoli tomato plant.
Napoli tomato plant.
Napoli tomato plant.
Napoli tomato plant.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Napoli tomato

At least two of my plants turned out to be crosses (not the same crosses as each other, either). One of them is especially prolific, and has slightly oblong, but sort of round fruit: It has ripe fruit, now. I harvested one and ate it. Upon completion, my mouth tasted and felt a lot like it feels after I eat a nectarine; the flavor does have some qualities of a nectarine (it's not the same thing as the peach-type flavor I described in Sweet Ozark Orange). It had some acid to it (and perhaps above average malic acid, too). It was pretty good, but probably could have ripened more. the fruit had thick walls, similar in thickness to Napoli's, but probably a little thinner, even though they're very thick.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6