Nafanua: Saving the Samoan Rainforest, by Paul Alan Cox

I got this book for a college class. It talks about flying foxes a lot. So, if you're into flying foxes, I would recommend it. It's a personal narrative (which in this case is a lot like a novel, but true). I don't have the book anymore, but I enjoyed it.

It's about a scientist whose mother has cancer. He goes to Samoa seeking to study plants in search of a cure. However, he ends up learning a lot about Samoan culture (which is quite interesting), and he studies flying foxes a lot. I don't remember the rest. (I read it years ago.)

The cultural aspects remind me somewhat of the movie called The Other Side of Heaven (which is based on a book by John H. Groberg). However, there are no flying foxes in The Other Side of Heaven, and Tonga is the location instead of Samoa. FYI: The Other Side of Heaven is religious (it's about a missionary who belongs to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); it's also a romance of sorts. Anne Hathaway is in the movie.

samoa_
rainforest_
cancer_
book_