heirloom_tomato

1 Comment

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Moneymaker tomato

This post was updated on .
Finally, I tasted and am saving seeds from the infamous Moneymaker tomato. I say it's infamous because Dr. Carolyn Male (Carolyn) didn't like the taste. I've been waiting to evaluate it for myself. My analysis is that the gel tastes quite good. The flesh doesn't taste bad, but it's a very mild taste (some might call it a weak taste) similar to the Celebrity tomatoes I had in 2016, but better. It actually has a decent amount of flavor, but it seems like I can tell that that may be due to me hardly watering it and to the high UV index. However, when tomatoes taste mild like this, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll taste like it the next year; it may just need acclimatization. Anyway, I do like the tomato. I might grow it again to evaluate it further. The taste is not unpleasant (but it is mild).

The gel on the seeds did not come off as easily as I was expecting for the way the fruit looks.

I really like the fruit shape.

Moneymaker tomato fruits, whole. 25 August 2020.
Moneymaker tomato fruits, whole. 25 August 2020.
Moneymaker tomato fruit, sliced in two. 25 August 2020.
Moneymaker tomato fruit, sliced in two. 25 August 2020.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6