MKX_B was also vigorous during the seed-starting process (not quite as vigorous as MKX_B1), and is remarkably vigorous post-transplant.

4 Comments

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: MKX_ tomato project

The first fruit of MKX_B began to ripen, today (52 days from transplant):

https://www.tomatojunction.com/topic3653.html
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: MKX_ tomato project

MKX_B appears to be yellow-fruited. So, the leaf type, the fruit color, and maybe the fruit shape are stable, so far.

Other things to make are stable in future are taste, days to maturity, plant size, heat-tolerance, damping-off-tolerance, and cold-tolerance.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: MKX_ tomato project

I seeded the first fruit of MKX_B. The seeds were actually pretty big (almost the size of those big Early GIrl F2 seeds we used to see in 2014--but more rounded than those). There were 80 developed seeds (and a few undeveloped ones); that's a lot of seeds for one small fruit (nice; I like lots of seeds). However, I didn't taste the seeds, nor the gel around them (since I'm saving those to grow). Considering the enormity of seeds, and the gel around them, I'm guessing they would make up a large portion of the flavor.

The taste of the walls was interesting. It wasn't the same as Snacker_. It had some of those honey-type smells that Medovaya Kaplya has, but it wasn't terribly sweet (Snacker_ is sweeter); it wasn't entirely devoid of sweetness, however. It was mild, but not as mild as that one yellow cherry tomato cross that tasted like it was high in malic acid. Another taster liked it, but she said she needed to taste more of them to rate it (probably with the seeds, too).

Okay, I ate the gel sacks on the seeds, removing them in my mouth and eating the get sakcs, while saving the seeds (I swallowed 20 seeds on accident; so, I have 60 left). It definitely wasn't ripe. The gel had a very unripe taste. I think it could probably taste a lot better if it were riper. It has a fruity-ish honey-ish smell.

The calyx removed quite easily from the fruit without damaging it (I'm very grateful for that; deep-rooted calyces seem to be a recessive trait that the F1 carried, as Snacker_B0, a descendant of the F1, had them).

About 8 to 10 minutes after I ate it, I noticed a fresh cilantro aftertaste in my mouth. It's a good thing I like cilantro! I haven't always liked it, however.

Here are some pictures:

IMG-20220715-192755
IMG-20220715-192236
IMG-20220715-192233
IMG-20220715-192230
IMG-20220715-192202
IMG-20220715-192148
IMG-20220715-192144
IMG-20220715-192042
IMG-20220715-191844
IMG-20220715-191840
IMG-20220715-191835
IMG-20220715-191831
IMG-20220715-191825
IMG-20220715-191811
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: MKX_ tomato project

Due to it having a cilantro aftertaste, I'm making a new project for MKX_B, and naming it Cilantrovaya_. MKX_B is Cilantrovaya_A.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6