other_tomato

4 Comments

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Husky Red F1 offtype RL tomato (matriarchal parent?)

This post was updated on .
I'm still impressed with this variety. I really like it. I want to grow several plants from seed next year.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Husky Red F1 offtype RL tomato (matriarchal parent?)

Here's the F2, so far, this year. I'm growing it in partial shade (more than I would like), but it's still one of the first tomatoes to bloom, this year! That's very nice! I'm curious to see if it's true-to-type. There's some shredded poplar wood in the soil from the tree that used to be there, or near there. The leaves are definitely regular leaf (not rugose); the parent looked like this, too.

Husky Red F2 offtype regular leaf tomato plant. The F1 was also regular leaf instead of rugose.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Husky Red F1 offtype RL tomato (matriarchal parent?)

It has a fruit about the diameter of a dime, now. This is fortunate, that it has such early as fadt-growing fruit set, as the plant is shaded and being eaten by pests. Nevertheless, of all my tomatoes, it has the most fruit by volume, so far, which is quite impressive. I plan to save seeds and plant it again from them next year.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Husky Red F1 offtype RL tomato (matriarchal parent?)

I picked several ripe fruits the other day. There are more ripe fruits on the plant.

The initial taste of the larger one was awesome, but then it changed into a vegetable-type taste, with a slight oily taste. It may have been overripe. the fruits are very red. They taste different than the fruits last year (more and different taste and softer texture). The fruits aren't as large, on average, but the largest one is. The plant is very small, still.

Here are the largest and smallest fruits that I've harvested from the plant, so far:
Husky Red F2 offtype fruits. 6 August 2020.
Husky Red offtype F2 fruit, sliced open. 6 August 2020.

It should be noted that due to the shade, the shredded wood in the soil, and the probable over-ripeness of the fruit, we cannot assume that the plant is unstable by the difference in the plant size, the fruit size, and the taste. Not to worry: I plan to grow it again.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6