This year, I'm growing it from seeds I saved, with black plastic and a cage to support it. It grew at least four large fruits (larger than in 2015). The first one ripened unnoticed and split. I'm saving the seeds now, but the fruit had been split open so long that it was full of fruit flies and was probably not a good idea to eat.

2 Comments

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Healy's Pride melon

This post was updated on .
Okay, so, I harvested a ripe one two days ago. It had slipped, and fallen to the ground (it was hanging), but it was undamaged. It was just bearly starting to split (so, I'm glad I got it in time).

Anyway, it was super soft and juicy like Ginger's Pride, instead of super firm like Healy's Pride was in 2015. So, I think it's Healy's Pride x Ginger's Pride F1.

Anyway, the taste was quite good, and perhaps even better in some ways after I scooped out the remaining flesh and refrigerated it in a closed quart jar for a couple days. It was easy to eat, even though it was big.

The earlier melon that split was a little bigger, I think.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Healy's Pride melon

The next fruit fell on the ground, split, and went bad already. I buried it for fertilizer and organic matter. I think it would have split whether or not it had fallen, especially with the storm the other night. I really didn't have a big window to harvest that one. I hope the F2s are more split-resistant.

The said fruit was smaller than the previous two, but still quite large. I didn't save seeds.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6