Government funding microscope research

It's my personal view that microscope research is one of the most important things a government can fund (i.e. to get better, easier-to-use, and less expensive, microscopes). Just think about it.

By funding it, I don't mean incentivizing via intellectual property (which can slow progress, due to patents making it so no one else can use the idea—that's a problem when the patent-owner can't or won't use the idea).

As this is one of the first posts in this forum, note that this is on-topic because it is about microscopes. Microscopes are objects, and objects are on-topic.

microscope_
government_