I had punctured the skins of all the tomatoes thoroughly to speed up the drying process.

1 Comment

Radishrain Radishrain

Tomato powder

See this thread for information about the tomato powder that I made with it: https://www.tomatojunction.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1584

Suffice it to say, the tomato powder is really good and makes an excellent seasoning on scrambled eggs that reminds me of MSG with lots of umami flavor (you need to add quite a bit of the powder to get more than a mild flavor). I blended up the dehydrated tomatoes in the blender, and added PermaGuard food grade diatomaceous earth as an anti-caking agent.

Here the same picture of the powder found in that thread, before I added the food grade diatomaceous earth:

Homemade tomato powder. August, 2020.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6