I'm letting all the flowers go to seed.

2 Comments

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Corrales Azafrán

This post was updated on .
Here's the seed harvest! We had to cut the sharp leaves off before I got the seeds out, but it was pretty easy.

Many white Corrales Azafrán safflower seeds on a large blue and white plate.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Corrales Azafrán safflower

This is one of the easiest-to-germinate plants I've ever grown. It sprouts easily in tough soils, in heat, in cold, in sun, and in shade. They sprout in about three to five days. The seeds are large.

I highly recommend these for school projects (as are done with sunflowers in cups). The plants are much shorter than sunflowers.

These ones took four or five days to sprout. They began sprouting in large numbers yesterday. This picture was taken this evening on the day when it was supposed to get to 103° F. I supposed it did; I wasn't monitoring it constantly, but it was 100° F. the first time I checked.

A row of newly sprouted Corrales Azafran safflower seedlings in difficult soil on May 30th in SW Idaho on a day when the temperature got to 103° F. Some small sweet potato plants are to the left. There is mint compost on top of some of the soil, which could contain forest products, manure, and such. A few sunchokes can be seen near the safflower post. Volunteer cucurbits are beyond a black, metal pole.

There are more safflower plants (which sprouted today) by the chicory, in a much more shaded area.

school_projects
easy_to_sprout
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6