heirloom_tomato

1 Comment

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Chocolate Chestnut tomato

I was very pleased to find that these taste amazing, and the fruits are quite firm and durable. The person who gave them to me had big problems with them splitting.

Anyway, they taste like earthy sweetness. The closest flavor I know is that of Ron's Carbon Copy (but it's still not the same). Chocolate Chestnut tastes more complex this year than Ron's Carbon Copy did for me in 2016, however; the difference in watering might have something to do with that.

Anyway, it's a really good tomato. I grew it with three handfuls of wood ash. It had black plastic. I imagine the calcium and minerals from the wood ash may have helped to prevent splitting.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6