• Growth habit: indeterminate
• Leaf type: regular leaf
• Maturity: midseason
• Uses: slicer

Offsite articles:
Bonnie Plants
Dave's Garden
Los Angeles Times
Mother Earth Gardener Growing Organically
Slow Food USA (Slow Food Arc of Taste)
Specialty Produce
Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tractor Supply Company
Wikipedia

Vendors:
Burpee
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
Fedco Seeds
Ferry~Morse
Harris Seeds
High Mowing Seeds
The Home Depot (plant)
HRSeeds
Johnny's Selected Seeds
Joy Grow
Lowes (potted plant)
Reimer Seeds
SeedsNow
Seeds of Change
Southern Exposure Seed Exchange
Tennessee Urban Farm
Territorial Seed Company
Thomas Jefferson's Monticello
timeless-tomatoes.com
Tomato Growers Supply Company
TomatoFest
Totally Tomatoes
Truelove Seeds
Urban Farmer (ufseeds.com)
Villagers
Victory Seeds

Blog Posts:
https://www.thatbloomingarden.com/2014/09/cherokee-purple-tomato-a-chefs-favourite-how-to-save-seeds/
http://www.thejoyblog.net/2018/11/how-to-grow-cherokee-purple-tomatoes.html

Offsite threads:
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2236750/horrible-tomatoe-cherokee-purple
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2795450/cherokee-purple-tomatoes
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2795619/cherokee-purple-rocks (praise)
https://www.tomatojunction.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=1213&p=21438 (cherry variants)
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=8249 (origin/history)

Offsite forum search results:
Google: boards.net
Google: Dave's Garden
Google: freeforums.net
Google: Gardenweb
Google: proboards.com
Google: Tomatoville

Recipes:
Save the Flavors – Cherokee Purple Tomato and Vidalia Onion Tart, by Gwen Pratesi

Related, and possibly related, tomato breeds:
• Cherokee Carbon F1
• Cherokee Chocolate
• Cherokee Green
• Cherokee Green Pear
• Cherokee Lime
• Cherokee Lime Stripes
• Cherokee Purple Potato Leaf
• Cherokee Red
• Cherokee Tiger Black
• Cherokee Tiger Black Dwarf
• Cherokee Tiger Black Pear
• Cherokee Tiger Large
• Dora
• Faelan's First Snow (a variegated Cherokee Purple)
• Gary'O Sena
• Golden Cherokee
• Indian Stripe / Indian Zebra
• Indian Stripe Potato Leaf (ISPL)
• Large Barred Boar
• Liz Birt
• Purple Haze
• Spudakee
• Vorlon

*****

This is often considered the best-tasting tomato, although it has a lot more competition for the title than it once did. Some growers report it being early, and some report it being prolific—but neither always seems to be the case for everyone.

I got some Cherokee Purple tomato seeds from Wintersown.org in the fall of 2014, and for the 2015 season, I started a couple plants indoors under lights and in a windowsill. They seemed to come with some disease, which in retrospect might have been Pythium or another stem disease, although it didn't kill them. I transplanted them in poor conditions. One of the plants got at least one extremely late, and probably unripe fruit by the end of the season. I didn't get to taste it, as I lost track of it in the harvest or something.

Anyway, I plan to try it again some year, but I haven't as of yet. I have grown Indian Zebra (AKA Indian Stripe), and Cherokee Green Pear. I'm growing Cherokee Yellow Red Pear, and Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach, this year (2020), neither of which are stable, yet, I imagine; I was growing Cherokee Yellow Red, too, but it froze in the unheated greenhouse, I believe.

The content of this particular post is available under the following license: GNU Free Documentation License 1.2.

heirloom_tomato