The tag implies that fresh eating is one of its intended uses, however: "… Sweet, juicy fleshed fruits are favorites for eating fresh." It also says it's cold hardy for -20° to -10° F. (Which is less cold hardy than ideal, but it'll hopefully live its full span.) Average height x width: 12' tall by 12' wide.

3 Comments

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Chabacano nectarine

This post was updated on .
Apparently, there were a few tags on the tree. I missed one. Here it is:

So, the variety's name is really Red Gold. It's freestone. Semi-dwarf. Hardy to zone 5. It says it's a good shipping variety.

I'm guessing Chabacano is just another Spanish word for nectarine.

My mom decided where to plant the tree and planted it, today (she wasn't sure where to put it for quite a while). Hopefully it's not too late. The fruit is supposed to ripen in the middle of August.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Chabacano nectarine

It's in soil that was tough to grow tomatoes in, in 2015. So, in 2021, I gave it foliar sprays of fertilizer pretty much every week of the frost-free growing season. It liked them. I gave it some calcium nitrate here and there, but mostly, what I gave it was 24-8-16 Miracle Gro.

It's budding, now. It looks like it has a lot of flower buds! :)
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Chabacano nectarine

We got lots of nectarines this year! They're excellent, juicy, and sweet (some are sweeter than others, and some are tart, but they're all good). I love them. They have a lot of red on them, too. The tree is still young, but it produced well. The fruits aren't huge (nor are they tiny), but that might be because the tree is young and because we didn't water it much; the size isn't a trouble, though. I haven't fertilized it this year, either. It may have been the weather, though (our tree wasn't the only fruit tree with non-large fruit).

I think the ones harvested last grew the most. So, maybe they keep growing even when they're ripe enough to eat (but still firm). I prefer them soft and juicy.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6