heirloom_tomato

1 Comment

Radishrain Radishrain

Re: Amana Orange tomato

I just had my first ripe Amana Orange tomato of the year. It was small and had zippering, but it was very delicious, again, and did not taste like a typical orange tomato. I must conclude, however, that it wasn't a good candidate for practically dry farming, with no fertilizer or soil amendments, with black plastic. The plant isn't producing much, and the fruit was undersized. The fruit was firm; the taste was not exactly the same as without black plastic (the taste was more intense). It was more peach-like, too, but not the same kind of peach-like as other orange tomatoes where I've said they were peach-like. I didn't save seeds from that fruit.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6